Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Infirmary Take Two

As you could probably tell from yesterday's post, I wasn't too fond of the infirmary. I won't pretend that I wasn't a little apprehensive about spending the whole day there again today. However, as the day progressed, I found myself pleasantly surprised and pleased.

Just as we spent yesterday morning in the homeless shelter, a different group of four went there this morning, leaving our group of four to work without a supervisor. We began around 10am in a room full of men. These men were not as sick as those from yesterday, therefore their surroundings were a little more clean and they were able to respond well. As with yesterday, we did mostly sing alongs, but didn't quite have a set order. Rather, we asked them for requests or chose songs based on how they were reacting. They were a great group, and we stayed with them for over an hour and a half. I know they must have been tired when we left, because I sure was. I sweat through much of my shirt about 15 minutes in, but they just kept playing and singing their hearts out. One man in particular grew rather fond of me. He was blind, so I had to help him into the room by holding both of his hands and walking backwards. He kept saying "Okay sweet honey," or "All right honey buns," to everything I said. He wanted to be in a constant embrace and copped a feel a few times. Guess that's what happens when you work with old men. During one song, Heather got a few of them up and dancing, which was really dear. While we were singing goodbye, one man held on to her and cried. Needless to say, it was a rewarding session.

When we were wrapping things up, the group from the homeless shelter met up with us and we headed to another room to do a session before lunch. We got about 20 minutes into it when the staff started serving food and the residents got distracted. This room was particularly sad, as they were not as clean or healthy as the first room, but we promised that we would be back when they were finished with lunch.

Since the infirmary is in Port Antonio, we just walked down the hill to another restaurant. I got carry out from an Ital restaurant, which was really good. No one else wanted Ital, so I brought mine next door where everyone else was having fried chicken. My curried potatoes, dumplings an ackee was much better, though, if you ask me.

Soon it was time to head back up to the infirmary for a few more sessions. Three of us broke into one group to work with two women alone in a room. Both were sleeping, or close to it, so we just sang traditional songs slowly and softly as they rested. We left them and sang a little with some people sitting outside on the sidewalk and soon gathered more people. Two men with amputated legs and happy personalities really enjoyed singing a Jamaican song called "Hold 'em Joe," and they sang loudly back and forth, giggling and smiling.

When the other group was ready, we headed back to the larger men's ward to finish the session. Many of them were sleeping their lunches off, so we kept the session pretty calm. We kept it pretty short in order to be ready for our bus driver at 3:30.

I won't lie - I wasn't looking forward to going back to the infirmary today. Yesterday I had a hard time keeping my emotions out of the therapy. The conditions these people are living in are so sad, how could I be therapeutic and uplifting while I cried over their situation? Today, however, the shock factor was gone, and I was able to remove myself from the environment and focus on the individuals and their personalities. Yesterday, I was only able to go through the motions, singing the songs and smiling. Today, I was able to actually engage and challenge the residents, which was rewarding for both of us. Tomorrow I will be back at the School of Hope, but I will return to the infirmary for a half day on Friday.


One of the men who loved to sing "Hold 'em Joe


Lunch at an Ital restaurant in Port Antonio

No comments:

Post a Comment