Monday, June 14, 2010

School of Hope

It's hard to believe that training is already over. I know it seems like I've been doing nothing but work down here, but we have actually been learning a lot to prepare us for our field experiences. Today was our first day, and my group consisting of Heather, Alice, Kristen, Tracy (one of two MT-BC supervisors) and I went the the School of Hope. The School of Hope has many locations across Jamaica, one in each parish for a total of 14. Children that are deaf, or have CP, Cognitive Delay (politically correct for MR), Downs Syndrome, Autism, etc. The school is split into 5 classrooms, and we did a session with each class.

When we arrived at the school, some children were already waiting for us at the end of the driveway. When they saw us "whiteys," they jumped up and down and cheered. When we got out of the taxi and started unloading our stuff, kids came running over, hugging us and one girl (I'll try to put up a picture of us together - she was especially sweet) actually jumped on and hugged our supervisor, Tracy, who she might remember from another trip.

The School of Hope has testing this week, so rather than doing sessions on the covered porch, we set up in the shade at the end of the driveway. We got there as soon as they were beginning morning announcements/prayers, which was really interesting. Children could pick songs that they wanted to sing, and nearly all of them did the signs along with their singing. They finished the announcements with a prayer and started the school day.

We set ourselves up at the end of the driveway, and as the school was ready, they would send a classroom out to us. Each class session had basically the same format - we would begin with a hello song that asked them to clap their hands and stomp their feet. Even the deaf students could do this. Next, we would do a movement experience, giving them the opportunity to choose movements to make. Some of these included run in place, touch your toes, and pat your nose, which resulted in many of the youngest students picking their nose! (It was pretty hilarious) We brought three sets of resonator bells with us, too. Each set consists of a scale from C - C, and each pitch has its own color. The cylindrical plastic tubes with the metal resonator screwed to one side were easy for the children to hold, or even put on their laps. These were new instruments for the children, and they really enjoyed them, especially the deaf classroom. The excited look on their face when they realized that they could hear the vibrations of the bell was so rewarding. They would even hold the bells up to their ears as they played to hear more.

After doing a few bell experiences, we would bring out drums. Perhaps the most touching moment of the day was when the oldest deaf classroom took turns conducting the group of drummers. They would point to each person they wanted to play, and even raised and lowered their hands for loud and soft. One student went up and actually pretended to conduct like you would see at a concert - waving his arms with a smug and satisfied smile on his face.

After ending with a goodbye song, the kids would sometimes stick around for pictures, jumping all over us and flashing peace signs to the camera. I had never worked with deaf children before, and they were definitely my favorite class to work with. I learned a few signs to use in the session, but I can't wait to get back and sign up for a class at OU. We are going back to the school on Thursday, and I can't wait.

We got back from the school around 2:45, and I headed right for the sea, as did many others. The music ed students were back too, and some of us took turns jumping off the cliff and taking pictures of each other. Mine looks pretty lame, I will admit. Doing the stick man never looks cool, even if you are jumping off a cliff. On the way back from the school, we had stopped by the Rastafarian restaurant to put our orders in, which we have to do in order for our food to be ready that night. A few of us headed over there around 6. The food was great - all fresh veggies, since Rastas are vegetarians. He served us beans and rice and cooked cabbage, onions, peppers, carrots, and tomatoes. To drink, he served whole coconuts with a straw to drink the water. He gave us two bunches of bananas to eat. He brought out limes for our mosquito bites. To finish, we had mango slices. Each person's dinner cost just a little over $4. It was by far my favorite dining experience of the trip so far.

That night at drumming, the drum maker Fender brought the drum that I had ordered earlier in the week. I'll attach a small picture if I can, but unfortunately you can't see much of the drum. I got a kette drum, which is a traditional Rastafarian drum. He handmade it from goat skin (all I can think when I hit it is "behhh, behhh"), and it actually has a spotted pattern from the goat. I am learning all sorts of cool drumming patterns for it, and I can't wait to show everyone when I get back.






Heather and a girl from the deaf classroom during a drum experience


The children in the deaf classroom could feel the vibrations as Heather played guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment