Greetings from Jamaica! We arrived in our town of residence, Boston Bay, just before dinner time this evening, which was a welcome site after traveling for 15 hours. Lindsay and I arrived in Montego Bay (appropriately, the airport was playing Bob Marley - see blog title) a little after 10:30 local time. We met up with Eric and Toni, along with another student, Jenn. We hung out in the restaurant/bar outside the airport and waited for the remaining 22 members of our group. Finally, around 2pm, we boarded a huge van and made our way across the northern coast of Jamaica. With rows four people across, we drove 120 miles in four hours and finally found ourselves at Great Huts.
After taking our things to our “rooms,” we headed to “main street” for some dinner. Jerk chicken was discovered in Boston Bay, and the main street consists of four or so huts serving jerk chicken, pork, rice and beans, and vegetables. Some locals were having karaoke night down the street, but for the most part, the JAFSP students and restaurant workers were the only people around. After dinner, we reconvened for the ground rules, and then it was off to bed for some, and back up town for others (I heard the word “ice cream” being tossed around quite a bit..). As for me, I brushed my teeth next to a lizard and am just about ready for bed. Since I have to keep a journal for the trip, I am hoping to use the journal and blog as one in the same.
Tomorrow, we have a free day. I plan to get up at 6 (the sun rises at 5...) and do some yoga followed by swimming at the beach. We have typical orientation stuff, like getting to know our surroundings, but for the most part, we are free to spend our time as we wish. Since we just finished finals, Lindsay and I will need to spend some time getting more acquainted with our course materials. Also, we will take a tour of a coconut plantation at 3pm.
I already can’t wait to buy noni juice (a natural immunity booster, very expensive in the US, but cheap here) and to check out the local Rasta restaurant, Ital. Rasta food is very conservative (no salt, no meat, etc.), and this restaurant serves that style accompanied by garlic and seasonings so you may flavor it to your liking.
More information tomorrow. Traveling coupled with finals, lack of sleep, and the heat make for a sleepy girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment